Monday, July 1, 2013

Presenting for California Science Project

It was such an honor to be invited to present at California Science Project's Northern Inland Summer Institute, Earth in Balance. I presented my interactive notebooks; the what, the why, the how, as well as student examples. You can check out my PowerPoint at the California Science Project Northern Inland website (HERE). In addition to a PowerPoint presentation, I handed out a bunch of materials that I use in my interactive notebook, of which I will post pictures of on this blog soon.

In addition to presenting, I also got to participate in many wonderful activities. We had many great presentations by various Chico State professors, including Dr. Nichols, Dr. Teasdale, Dr. Maslin, Dr, Kagan, and Dr. Mayor. Each had great activities that can easily by brought back to the classroom, but the presentation that had me itching to get school started up again was the one by Dr. Kagan, a Chico State physics professor. His demonstrations on the physics of balance were great. We found the center of mass on a baseball bat, irregular shapes made of paper, as well as many other objects. He also does a great job of explaining the physics behind baseball with many activities that can be used in the classroom. Check out his website, Major League Physics (HERE), for access to these free resources. I'm already compiling a list of things I want to have my 8th graders do next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment